Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Tour 2011

Wednesday afternoon, I drove back into town at the end of my 26-day book tour and vacation. A school bus approached from the opposite direction. Figuring Buddy Boy (grandson #1) would be on it, I slowed to let the bus make its right turn and then made my left turn, slipping in behind it. Sure enough, my first grade guy hopped off with a few other munchkins and pranced the short distance to his house. As he opened the side door to go in, I pulled into his driveway and tooted my horn. His excited dance at seeing me was the best welcome home imaginable. And then, my kids and other grandkids gathered for supper and a happy reunion that was oh! so excellent.

The welcome dance and fun of the evening mirrored my own joy at being home, but the trip itself was also part of the joy. Memories and reflections fly around my brain along with tasks and agenda items needing attention. Fatigue and disorganization keep me off balance a bit and measure out a gradual re-entry. As part of the process, I want to capture, nonetheless, the essence of this journey undertaken in conjunction with the release of Sunday by Sunday III.

To cover every detail would be not only impossible but also boring. So, blogging daily (at least that’s the plan), I will hit the highs—and maybe some lows, though there weren’t many of those. The following topics, which I jotted down with some notes on one of the last nights on the road, should provide a pretty good framework for documenting this momentous occasion in my writing adventures. And with a little luck, this document may be entertaining as well (at least that’s the hope).

• The team
• Itinerary
• Family
• Friends
• Drama
• Futility of quantifying
• Infrastructure accidents and incidents
• Serendipity
• Driving
• Weather
• Itinerary/Memory lane
• Re-entry
• Next

No comments: