Saturday, June 16, 2012

I don't have time to blog because...



I’m finishing up a booklet for each of my sons-in-law for Father’s Day, a compilation of funny, kooky things their kids have said. Four boys, two for each dad, and they keep us laughing.

Like Carter, 7, announcing at the dinner table recently, “I’d love Eggplant Parmagiana if it didn’t have eggplant in it.”

And this heard when he and his cousin Sam, 5, were playing baseball the other day:  “That was a great pitch, Sam. You just got it on the wrong side of me.” And when Sam hit the ball, Carter yells at him to run. “Okay, I will,” Sam says, kneeling in the grass to examine a roly-poly.

Ben, Carter’s kid brother who is 3, loves to tag around with the bigger guys. When Sam arrived at his house to play, Ben ran up to him, eyes sparkling, “Hi, Sam. Here I am!”

And then there’s Kevin, 10 weeks old today and baptized tomorrow, Sam’s little brudder. This baby boy is high on life, smiling and cooing and gurgling and flailing arms and legs in excitement at what he sees and hears. His mother heard him utter his first word a couple weeks ago:  “diagonal.” Sam said he was trying to say “Pentecost” on Pentecost Sunday. I’m not so sure about all that, but he distinctly said “elf” and “boo” on my watch this week.

I’m telling you, these guys crack me up. All three of the older ones have asked, precisely at the appropriate developmental stage of learning about human anatomy, “Grammy, do you have a penis?” They’re quite puzzled when the answer is no. “Then what do you have?” one of them wondered.

Every one of you reading this undoubtedly has a favorite saying of a favorite kid. Why not share it here in Comments—which will put you in the running to win a Sunday by Sunday deluxe boxed gift set.

Gotta’ go and finish those booklets… Enjoy tomorrow. Think of your father.   

1 comment:

Candace said...

Andrew was up very early one morning and came into our room to wake me up. I asked him "Is anyone else up?" and his reply - "Yeah. You!"